12/08/2015

Golden Gate Cake Shop

My fiance and I were just leaving Chinatown after an enormous 3 course meal when I saw a line of people pouring out of a cake shop. 
Golden Gate Cake Shop


London Chinatown storefront
Cake display case



Mousse cake slices
The display cake had me.  We started snapping photos before we even went inside to see what they had.  I had a good feeling.



The inside was very, very small.  There were several people in and out of the shop as well as workers coming through to restock big trays of buns and cakes.  Right at the entrance is a stack of trays and a pair of tongs to choose your items with.  Once you have chosen your items you bring them to the counter and they ring you up and box your items. It all happens very fast.

Sponge, Coconut Pandan, Rainbow, Marble, Coffee, Chocolate, & Yam Rolls
Melon Cake, Custard Pastry, Red Bean Pastry

Sausage & Cheese Chilli Bun and Pandan Lotus Seed Baby Pig
Chestnut Roll & Cappuccino Roll
Green Tea Mousse Cake, Cheesecake, Pandan Layer Cake 
Unlabeled "swiss rolls" with strawberry faces


It's as happy to see me as I it. 


When I got home I opened the box to see how everything was packaged. And also to taste the little strawberry guy.





His eye got a little messed up in transit but it was still delicious.

Inside the swiss roll
I call it a swiss roll because it tasted just like one.  It had a firm chocolate on top to support the strawberry face and buttercream grass.

Banana Mousse Cake
I love the plastic wrapping.



The mousse cake was my favorite.  It reminded me of banana pudding with vanilla wafers; the cake acted as the wafer and the mousse as the pudding.  I will be back to try the other flavors they had, specifically the kiwi mousse cake. And probably the green tea mousse cake for the fiance.  And maybe one of those little piggies. And a chestnut roll.






No comments:

Post a Comment